Friday, August 12, 2011

Maybe it's Nothing

I have a fairly large backyard which borders on both a small forest and a cornfield. That's the sort of rural nowhere area in which I currently live, and for better or worse, not much happens. However, a glance out the window today detected some minor rustling among the full-grown corn stalks. Closer examination made a figure out amongst the stalks, most definitely human and wearing what appeared to be a lavender shirt. The figure in question did not step out into view but instead exited stage right into the forest. I had no idea who this person was or why he or she was there.

More than likely, I just saw a not-too-distant neighbor who was bored and decided to take a stroll through the cornfield, having fun by treating it as some pre-season Halloween maze. Were I more paranoid, I'd assume this was a government agent scoping out my house for examination with a classified agenda. At its worst, it's a malevolent spirit or otherworldly horror assuming human form sending me a message, that it'll be back later tonight or in the future to take my body and soul away.

Perhaps my brain's been tainted by reading too many horror stories on the Internet, quite a few of which involve popular terror fuel Slenderman, a tall faceless humanoid in a dark suit, often depicted with shadow tentacles flailing around its body. Nothing supernatural has happened to or been observed by me, at least not lately. I digress; the fact stands that I saw someone (something?) out there. But it's probably nothing to worry about. I'll see if anything happens over the next week, be it a similar incident or something far more morbid. Considering how generally boring my life at home turns out to be, it's likely to turn out as a one-time look at some random guy or gal wandering out in the cornfield for no adequately explored reason.

This post mostly turned out to be full of "what ifs," which I usually find to be a cop-out when it comes to writing material. But hey, this blog's still new, and I'll blame the creation of this post on a lack of focus. Whatever this blog turns out to be, focused on video games, creepy stories, or (deity forbid) my angry rants on politics, I should hope to have more substantial material than a one-time look of an unidentified walking person (UWP) in my backyard. With any luck, it won't be material where I start to see apocalyptic messages in my dreams (similar to John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness) or have night terrors like the ones H.R. Giger suffers through to inspire his deliciously disturbing artwork. Though if I DO start suffering from either of those or worse, I'd have found a definite theme for this blog... at the cost of my sanity, which I'd prefer to keep.

For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment